1555 Bond Street, Suite 103A
Naperville, IL 60563

Se Habla Español
Call Today for a Free Consultation

Call Us630-448-2001

Lost Your License but Need to Drive? Consider a Restricted Driving Permit

 Posted on December 27,2021 in DUI

Aurora Driver's License Suspension LawyerIn Illinois, drivers can lose their licenses for many different offenses. Driver’s license suspensions and revocations may result from charges for driving under the influence (DUI), multiple traffic violations, and failure to pay tickets. Once a license is suspended or revoked, the license holder is prohibited from driving any motor vehicle. Driving with a suspended or revoked license is a criminal offense. Fortunately, there may be a way to get back on the road legally after losing your license.

Seeking Driving Relief Through a Hardship License

If you lose your license, you may wonder how you will travel to work, attend classes, or manage other important responsibilities. One option is to seek driving relief through a Restricted Driving Permit (RDP). RDPs are sometimes referred to as “hardship licenses” because they offer partial driving privileges for those adversely affected by the loss of their driver’s license. For example, if you risk losing your job because you cannot drive, this may qualify as a hardship.

To get an RDP, you will need to attend a Secretary of State hearing and demonstrate that a hardship exists. If you lost your license because of a DUI, you will also need to complete the steps indicated by your drug and alcohol evaluation risk classification. This may include ten hours of DUI Risk Education, early intervention, substance abuse treatment, or other activities. Lastly, you will need to show the Secretary of State hearing officer that you are not going to re-offend. The RDP will let you drive to certain locations for certain purposes. Many RDP holders use their RDP to get to work, transport children, or attend medical appointments.

Breath Alcohol Ignition Interlock Device

If you are seeking driving relief after two or more DUIs, you will need to have a breath alcohol ignition interlock device (BAIID) installed on your vehicle. The BAIID is like a breathalyzer but it is attached to your vehicle. To engage the ignition, you will need to first blow into the device so it can measure your blood alcohol content. If your BAC shows no signs of alcohol, the car will start normally. However, if you have been drinking, the car will not start up.

Contact a Naperville Restricted Driving Permit Lawyer

Losing your license can make it nearly impossible to fulfill your responsibilities. If your driver’s license was suspended or revoked, you may be able to get a Restricted Driving Permit. For help, contact Aurora DUI defense lawyer Patricia Magaña. Ms. Magaña has extensive experience in Secretary of State driver’s license reinstatement and criminal defense. She can help you explore your options for getting back on the road legally. Call 630-448-2001 for a free consultation.





Share this post:
Illinois State Bar Association DuPage County Bar Association Kane County Bar Association Hispanic Lawyers Association of Illinois
Law Office of Patricia Magaña, LLC

1555 Bond Street, Suite 103A, Naperville, IL 60563

Back to Top